Haftarah Trope Challenge

As we are about to embark on Spring break for Pesach, I wanted to give ample time for our students to begin practicing for the Haftarah Trope Challenge. On Wednesday, I announced the details to the class, they are as follows:

The Haftarah Trope Challenge will take place on Sunday, May 6th. Students will be expected to:

1. Chant in TROPE Jonah 1: 6-7.

2. Chant in Hebrew the Blessings Before Haftarah.

3. Chant in Hebrew the Blessings After Haftarah.

Assessment for Haftarah Trope Challenge 5778

There are many resources available to our students to aid in their study. On the trope page of our blog, there are recordings of Blessings Before and After Haftarah, as well as recordings of all the individual Haftarah clauses. There are musical notations of each clause (with transliteration), as well as a musical notation of the Blessings After Haftarah, which has it’s own unique melody.

The students have learned in class thus far, 4 clauses for Haftarah: Etnachta, Sof Pasuk, Katon, and R’vi-i.  When we return from break, we will work on the final two clauses, T’vir and Segol. The students have also studied extensively the Blessing Before Haftarah. We have learned the first 3rd of the Blessing After Haftarah, and our focus when we return will be to complete it.

I would encourage each of the students to take this time at home to practice what they know, and familiarize themselves with what they don’t. Their work at home will make all the difference in this process.

When we return from break, we will have just 7 Sundays, and 6 Wednesdays remaining in our school year. The last Sunday, May 20th will be our observance of Shavuot, the day in which we acknowledge our receiving of Torah at Mt. Sinai.

We will begin our assessment on Sunday, May 6 and continue until all of our students have successfully passed. Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns.

Chag Pesach Sameach!

Marla Aviva Bentley