Welcome to 6th Grade

Greetings 6th grade families,

I cannot wait to greet you tomorrow morning, our first day of in-person Sunday school in a year and a half. I am so excited to be back in the classroom with each of you! My name is Marla Aviva Bentley, or Morah (teacher) Marla. Many of you know me as the TBI Director of Music, and for some families, I have taught your older siblings in 6th grade. This is my 11th year teaching and working at Temple Beth Israel.

Some interesting things about me… like you, I am a student. This past winter, I began a second Master’s degree program at Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion, in Jewish Education. I am a proud TBI parent, Hannah is in 7th grade and Jaret is in 5th grade. My husband, Newell, and I live with our kids in Deerfield, in a house built in 1865. We have a great dog named Duke. I love to read, listen to audiobooks, walk and hike in nature, bake with my family, and of course, sing!

This is our 6th grade blog. This is where I will give updates and information to the 6th grade and their families. You are welcome to subscribe and be notified instantly when a new post has gone up. I will also send an email to the class list anytime I post. Please email me if you would like an additional parent/guardian or family member to be included in our distribution list.

Take a look around at the various pages and check out all the cool information, including the Trope page (special curriculum for 6th grade Hebrew), the Prayer page (recordings and videos of the prayers and melodies we sing at TBI), and the About page (to learn more about me).

I look forward to getting to know each of your learners better! If you have any concerns or questions, I am always available at TBI 847-675-0951, by email: musicdirector@tbiskokie.org.

Shanah Tovah Um’tukah! Morah Marla