Haftarah Trope Challenge

This past week I announced to the class the details of the upcoming Haftarah Trope Challenge.  Unlike the Torah Challenge, the Haftarah Trope Challenge is 3 parts and therefore requires effort and practice at home.  The HTC will take place on:

Sunday, May 1 and Sunday, May 8 (if needed), during Hebrew School (11:10-12:10 pm)

The students are required to:

1. Chant the Blessing Before Haftarah in Hebrew
  2. Chant the Blessing After Haftarah in Hebrew
  3. Chant Isaiah 58:5-6 in trope

Each element of the challenge helps assess the students progress.  Chanting the blessings before and after Haftarah are immediately applicable as they will be doing so for their B’nai Mitzvah.  Chanting from Isaiah 58 (the example we have been working with in class), will ensure that the students have a good grasp of the 6 trope clauses: Etnachtah, Sof-Pasuk, Katon, T’vir, R’vi-i and SegolWe will continue to work on each challenge element in class, however I expect the students to practice at home as well.  There are many oral examples of the Blessings before and after Haftarah, available on the TROPE PAGE of the blog.  There is also a notation of the music for the Blessing After Haftarah that is helpful.

I appreciate the support I know you will give our students in their efforts!  Please contact me if you have any questions or concerns.