Welcome to 6th Grade 5777

ברוכים הבאים כתה ד

My name is Marla Aviva Bentley and I am thrilled to welcome you to 6th grade at Temple Beth Israel.  This is my 6th year teaching at TBI.  In addition to being your teacher, I am also the temple Music Director.  I have two children, Hannah Jane (2nd grade) and Jaret (Kindergarten), and my husband of twelve years is Newell.  We live in Deerfield with our dogs, Duke and King.

Marla & Kids

This will be a year of firsts and new beginnings.  We have a new classroom, room 203.  The kindergarten and new Hebrew program will now occupy the Multi-purpose room.  Room 203 is located in the hallway  to the left of the library as you come up the main stairs.  We also have a new Hebrew program that I am truly excited about.  This program will be explained in more detail at the Parent Meeting on the first day of Sunday School, September 11.  Parents and students will meet in the sanctuary at 9:00 am for an assembly.  At 9:30 students will go up to their classes and parents need to remain for an important informational meeting.  Afterwards, parents are invited to come to our class for a few minutes.  Afterward there is the Brotherhood School Picnic.

Our new 6th grade schedule will work as follows:

Sundays
9:00-11:00 Religious School
11:10-11:40 Hebrew – Trope
11:40-12:10 Hebrew – Modern Language*

Wednesdays
4:15-5:00 Hebrew – Trope
5:10-6:00 Hebrew – Modern Language*

*Modern Hebrew Language will be taught in the Multi-purpose room with 5th and 7th grade.  Instruction will be led by Alisa Shapiro-Rosenberg, along with each grades primary teacher (5th Carly Valfer, 6th Marla Aviva Bentley, 7th Gale Nudleman and Shari Granat).  To read more about how TBI decided to implement this new program, visit Alisa’s blog: http://cmovan.edublogs.org/2016/08/03/how-i-got-here/

When we have a chance to meet on Sunday, September 11th, I will go over the details of the 6th grade curriculum and will be happy to answer any questions you might have.  In the meanwhile, feel free to email me anytime with questions or concerns.

I look forward to meeting all of you on our first day of Hebrew school, Wednesday, September 7.

Sincerely,

Marla Aviva Bentley